Sunday, October 26, 2008

Salamat Hari Raya n poems from Hafiz

Hi friends : ) : )

Since it is Hari Raya, Salamat Hari Raya to all muslim friends : ) : )
.....

Share with you a poem from a Muslim saint, Hafiz.
Hafiz, whose given name was Shams-ud-din Muhammad (c.1320-1389),
is a much beloved poet of Persia.
He sings lots of beautiful poems when he is inspiritual bliss. :):)
The following is a translation by Daniel Ladinsky.........

Today
I
Do notWant to step so quickly
Over a beautiful line on God's palm
As I move through the earth's
Marketplace
Today.

I do not want to touch any object in this world
Without my eyes testifying to the truth
That everything is
My Beloved.

Something has happened
To my understanding of existence
That now makes my heart always full of wonder
And kindness.

I do notWant to step so quickly
Over this sacred place on God's body
That is right beneath your
Own foot

As I
Dance
with
Precious life
Today.

...........

Covers her face with both hands

WhatWe speak
Becomes the house we live in.

Who will want to sleep in your bed
If the roof leaks
Right aboveIt?

Look what happens when the tongue
Cannot say to kindness,
I will be your slave.

The moon
Covers her face with both hands
And can't bear
To look
........

Some years back, I have borrowed Daniel ladinsky's book "The subject tonight is Love" from
the National Library. It is a collection of Harfiz's poety translated to english by
Daniel Ladinsky and I've enjoyed it very much. : )

If you have time, you may like to borrow the book from NLB. : ) : )

Cheers and happy holiday :) : )
Low ck

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello
Thank you for introducing Hafiz. As a Persian man, i read his poems when i feel i need some enjoyment and power.